Scars persist after wounds have healed, and they can significantly impact your appearance and your self-confidence. Our surgical team at TOC Eye and Face in Austin, TX, offers scar revision surgery to minimize the visibility of scars and improve the overall texture and tone of the treatment area. With our advanced training and techniques, we can effectively address discoloration, hypertrophic scars, keloids, and contractures.
What Types of Scars Can Revision Surgery Address?
Scars come in various shapes, sizes, and types, and they can form for many reasons. Scars that can be treated with revision surgery include:
- Discoloration or Irregularities: Subtle scars such as those sustained from prior surgery, injury, or severe acne can be treated with surgery or alternative methods prescribed by your doctor.
- Hypertrophic Scars: This type of scar appears as a thick cluster of tissue, and may be red, raised, or uncomfortable. Hypertrophic scars are often darker or lighter than the surrounding skin.
- Keloids: These scars are large, and extend beyond the edge of a wound or incision. Keloids are particularly common on parts of the body with little fat, such as the chest, shoulders, neck, ears, or face.
- Contractures: Certain injuries, such as burns, can result in the loss of a large patch of skin. Because this severe scar often affects muscles and tendons, movement can be significantly restricted.
It must be noted that scar revision surgery is not appropriate for those with active acne or other skin diseases in the area of treatment. In these cases, our doctors will work with you to determine a treatment that will better suit your needs.
The Surgical Procedure and Recovery
Most procedures may be performed in an ambulatory surgery center setting. Outpatient (ambulatory) surgery helps to reduce hospital costs, personal expense, and length of stay for patients needing surgery. For those times when surgery is best performed at a hospital, TOC physicians have surgical privileges at all Austin-area hospitals and many ambulatory surgery centers.
- Anesthesia: Before your procedure begins, anesthesia will be administered to make sure you are comfortable throughout the duration of your treatment.
- Incisions: We can employ advanced surgical techniques to minimize tension on the surface of the skin. By creating a strategic incision, we can remove the scar and lift and realign underlying tissue. Once complete, we can close the incision.
After your procedure, the surgical site should be cleaned often to encourage healing. We can provide you with a detailed list of post-operative instructions to assist in your recovery. During a series of follow-up visits, we can monitor your progress.
Supplemental Scar Treatments
There are a number of treatments available that can either supplement scar revision surgery, or aid in healing after surgery. These include:
- Topical Treatments: External compressions, tapes, or gels can be helpful for wound healing. In some cases, topical treatments can prevent discoloration.
- Injectables: Dermal fillers can also aid in smoothing the skin around a scar. Generally, multiple treatments are necessary to maintain results.
- Dermabrasion: This treatment involves exfoliating and polishing the skin to remove surface irregularities.
- Laser Therapy: This type of treatment encourages the natural production of collagen and elastin, resulting in a healthier, smoother appearance.
- Chemical Peels: Some patients may benefit from chemical peels, which can soften the surface of the skin and reduce irregularities.
- Skin Bleaching: In cases of discoloration, skin bleaching can be used to even out the skin tone.
We can review all of your options so you can make an informed decision about your treatment.
Learn More about Scar Revision Treatments
If you feel self-conscious about prominent scarring, scar revision surgery can dramatically improve the appearance of imperfections. To learn more about scar revision treatments, please schedule a consultation with one of our doctors. You can call our office at (512) 458-2141 or contact us online anytime.